Date: 1/30/18 3:24 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mc Cowns Longspur, Klamath Falls area
The area Peter was at is the spot for McCowen’s in Oregon. Back in the days
when I was into chasing birds and running all over the state I saw one in
the same area back in 2001. I think half the accepted records are from that
area. If you look for Horned Lark flocks in areas where there is short
grass and walk enough of them you can eventually find the flocks and have
to work them for longspurs. I use to do that before I realized we had
Laplands lots of winters in Curry (mostly on private ranchland though).
Most visitors spend their time looking at waterfowl and eagles and do not
spend any time sifting through Horned Lark flocks which takes time. Too
many birds there- it is overload area for birders for sure! The blackbird
flocks are fun to go through also and one has to try for the towhee too. I
use to look for wintering Ferruginous Hawk there also as raptor numbers are
huge too. Now they are regular elsewhere. Sounds like Peter had a fun
time!! Great place to bird this time of year if you have never been there.

Tim R
Coos Bay