Date: 1/30/18 1:26 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sandy River Delta & Ruffed Grouse
I have them as quite uncommon at my place in Carver, which
has similar habitat to the Sandy River Bottom and is about
15 miles SW away or so. There is a eBird record from Eagle Creek,
about 5 miles S from me. if I make the effort and go out in
early morning I can hear them. And very occasionally
I flush one randomly.

I've also seen one on the road in Ft. Stevens state park
very early in the morning one time. There is a Matt
Hunter eBird report from 1983! at the exact spot.
And a several more near the road's end.
Bob OBrien

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 8:14 PM, David Mandell <davidmandell...>
wrote:

> I think it was about eight years ago, I heard a Ruffed Grouse drumming at
> Sand River Delta. I wasn’t able to see the bird, but it was reasonable
> close and I had no doubt about what I was hearing. I believe it was in
> late April or early May. I posted it on OBOL at the time and a bit of
> conversation about their former status on the valley floor ensued, as well
> as a very similar posting from Lars. I’m sure the conversation is captured
> somewhere in the ether.
>

> Best,
>

> David Mandell

> Windows 10