Date: 1/29/18 8:03 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Duck ID Help
Hi -

Lars is correct.  It is a domestic breed of mallard.  I do not see any evidence of other species involved.  A variety of waterfowl have been domesticated, but three species, Mallard, Graylag Goose, and Swan Goose were have been in domestication much longer and have yielded a surprising diversity of breeds.  This is one of several that were bred for very large size, among other traits.  Useful for a particularly large Turduckin?

Wayne

On 1/29/2018 6:08:33 PM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
*

This is a domestic Mallard. Maybe a pure breed, maybe a mongrel. Lars

On Jan 29, 2018, at 5:40 PM, Megan Cash wrote:

So, My dad and I were birding the pond at Canby Community Park this afternoon around 3:00pm. Now, normally my dad and I are pretty decent at ID-ing birds. But this one threw us for a loop. My first thought was a really awkward Mallard, and it may yet still be. It was completely brown, with it's head a darker brown (sometimes slightly purplish in the right light) and a green-gray wing patch. The distribution of the colors seems closely consistent with a Mallard, with the head being very dark, a brown chest with a slight white neck ring in between the two (though not complete on this bird), the wing patch and a darker rear-end. It's bill also screams "Duck" to me despite it being a dark grey - sometimes blue-ish - and it's legs are dark orange.

 That being said, maybe it's a Mallard that just has a really awkward coloring the likes of which I've never seen, but it's size was a bit ridiculous. It was at least half again as big as the Mallards around it, almost a decent Cackling Goose size, especially when standing. For some reason when I look at it, the head screams "Duck" but the body screams "Goose". I guess it's quite possible for it to simply be an abnormally large, for lack of a better term "dark-morph" Mallard. Maybe this bird has been seen around and nobody really reported anything about it because they clearly knew what it was and didn't think it particularly interesting, but this bird just has me so insanely confused. Fortunately, I got quite a few decent pictures, but I would appreciate a little help. Please.

Here's the link to my pictures on Flickr if anyone wants to see them, or use them to help ID:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143139614@N05/albums/72157689928120672 [https://www.flickr.com/photos/143139614@N05/albums/72157689928120672]

--

-Megan Cash
Newberg, OR