Date: 1/29/18 2:53 pm
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Troutdale Harris'/Ruffed Grouse
Yeah, the Quail was my first thought, but it didn't have that snappy sound
to the end of it. Quail area a bird I'm decently familiar with, so when it
didn't match that, I pulled out my app and the sound was, as I remembered,
a dead ringer for the Sibley's recording of Female alarm calls.

The recording does blow, but if you listen to at high volume, you will hear
a very soft whik whik whik call.

FWIW I'm prepared to be convinced that I was wrong, since it fits a pattern
for me :)

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
wrote:

> Hey Brodie,
>
> In the recording, I have a hard time hearing the vocalizations I believe
> you are referring to. Besides the Hairy Woodpecker calling loudly, I hear
> what kind of sounds like a Bewick's Wren. I'm assuming the volume is too
> low to pick up what you were hearing. Have you considered California Quail,
> which can be occasionally found in that general vicinty? It seems unlikely
> Ruffed Grouse would be in that area, but you never know. I've only had luck
> with them in higher elevations in Multnomah County and I am far from
> experienced with the species.
>
> Best,
> -Nick
>
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:15 PM Brodie Cass Talbott <
> <brodietlewis...> wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> The Company Lake Harris's Sparrow was present again today around noon.
>>
>> Another bird of note was a calling Ruffed Grouse in the woods less than
>> 10 meters from the Sparrow feeding station. The call was what is described
>> in the Sibley app as the female alarm call. It started very rapid fire, as
>> I've heard before on Mt. Hood, then slowed to sporadic notes. Only then,
>> and in between the planes landing at the airport, was I able to get a
>> recording. Feel free to let me know if you hear something different:
>>
>> http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42348096
>>
>> Looking at the ebird maps, it appears they're reasonably common along the
>> Sandy River area, and there's one record on the other side of the Sandy
>> from Company Lake, but this appears to be as far West as they have made it
>> towards Portland's east metro area.
>>
>> There's still a good amount of seed on the ground, so someone may be able
>> to get a view of it if there's a decent break in the dogs.
>>
>> Good birding,
>> Brodie
>> Portland

Join us on Facebook!