Date: 1/29/18 7:56 am
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Wallowa Co Gyrfalcon
Unless someone has specific information from eBird regarding the
gyrfalcon/falcon-trade connection, I think we're making an assumption
that may not be entirely valid regarding the placement of Gyrfalcon
on the blocked list.

If we look at the other species that have been blocked, they appear
to be species sensitive to human disturbance in general and subject to
too much love from birders and photographers. Perhaps we are deflecting
when we should be looking at behaviors closer to home. The problems
associated with disturbances caused by people who want to get a better
look or a better photograph are well documented and the multiply in
areas where human population densities are high and wild spaces are
low. It would not be the first time that an issue associated with
urban populations is handled asymmetrically by eBird. I have referred
to it as the East Coast bias, but it could just as easily be labeled the
Southern California Bias or the Portland bias.

This does not dilute from the larger problem with eBird's solution to
the disturbance issue. They've used a chainsaw when a scalpel would
have been more appropriate and I hope the folks at eBird are listening
to the very real concern many of us have about the suppression of data
we are choosing to donate to them.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR