Date: 1/28/18 9:03 pm
From: Jody Williams <fisherwoods...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Santa Cruz Flats 1/28
Spent a couple hours out on the flats this afternoon. Started at the sod farm walking much of the east side, then went as far as the middle road along Pretzer before finally spotting a few Mountain Plovers on the west side areas. There was a sprinkling of American Pipits throughout the area with well over 70, and a hand full of Horned Larks. The water “Pond” had 14 Green-winged Teal and a Ring-necked Duck. Cruised down to Green Reservoir Rd, picking up a Merlin and a Roadrunner as I headed to Picacho Hwy. Walked along the roadside pecans for a quarter mile before finding the adult plumage Lewis’s Woodpecker about 200 yards south of where Green Reservoir turns east.
Made it to Red Rock feed lot where the 5PM sun was attractive to a row of 5 Inca and 2 Ruddy Ground Doves on the fence next to the house. Another dove with that group baffled me and it just wouldn’t show me anything to judge it on, facing away and ruffed… I’m leaning to another Ruddy, but can’t be sure.
They were in the opposite corner from the water tank, in the NW area of the feed lot property.

John R Williams