Date: 1/28/18 8:41 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Pipits at Ankeny NWR
Hi -

In the night of Feb. 7-8, 2014 the Willamette Valley got a significant snowfall.  The morning of Feb 8, open areas in and near Newport were full of hundreds to thousands of Killdeer and American Pipits.  Our snow here was much thinner and was clearing by mid-morning.  Most of both species had disappeared by Feb. 10.

Our assumption was that these bird were refugees from the valley, in search of bare ground.
On 1/28/2018 8:27:52 PM, David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:
I have seen flocks of 100+ birds in southern Linn County during winter. I think its safe to assume that thousands of pipits winter out in the south central Willamette Valley, where there are many many square miles (much of it inaccessible to birders) quality pipit habitat. As for Horned Larks, I have almost never seen them, or any other species mixed in pipit flocks. Sadly, not even other species of vagrant pipits. Conversely, lark flocks of Horned Larks are good for yielding the occasional longspur. Just in western Oregon I've seen Lapland, Chestnut-collared and McCown's Longspurs with Streaked Horned Larks. Still looking for that Smith's to complete the set.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR