Date: 1/28/18 8:40 pm
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Wallowa Co Gyrfalcon
The logic and wisdom of treating Oregon's wintering Gyrfalcons as a "sensitive species" escapes me. It would be like hiding Willamette Valley reports of wintering Prairie Falcons, whose frequency of appearance is not that much greater than that of the Gyrfalcon. As I stated a week or so ago, the falconers–the presumptive imaginary threat (like those we need a border wall for)–know where all the interesting falcons are long before we feeble birders find them. I would not hesitate to report the location of wintering Gyrfalcon unless the safety of the birders going to look for it was in question. I worry not about the falcon's safety. I don't recall any mysterious mid-winter disappearances of Oregon Gyrfalcons, so I seriously doubt that falconers are going after them. All Gyrs seem to show up, stay the season and then disappear when it is seasonally appropriate.

Dave Irons

Beaverton, OR