Date: 1/28/18 5:42 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Northern Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis abieticola) at Motts Creek Road, Atlantic County
Several winters ago I lucked out on a very cooperative Northern Red-tailed Hawk perched on a utility pole in Pomona on my way home from Brig. I pulled over and parked practically underneath the bird and it did not flush. I immediately knew this redtail was not the standard redtails we typically see in NJ.

I have been in search of another every winter since but had no luck. Until today at Motts Creek Road. Unlike the last event, this Motts Creek abieticola was perched at the edge of salt marsh and the view was not satisfying due to distance. It was raining and I did not take the scope out.

Thanks to John’s ID confirmation and his ebird link. Brandon Reo reported one on January 5, 2014 at Motts Creek. Otherwise the southern NJ is devoid of any sightings.

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>