Date: 1/28/18 2:52 pm
From: Mark Krenitsky <mkrenitsky...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP - 28 January 2018
Fourteen hardy birdwatchers from three states(AK, AZ, MN) attended the
Sierra Vista EOP walk Sunday morning. We started with temperatures near
freezing and finished with them in the mid-sixties with beautiful skies.

Our final species total was 56 species, with 9 species of ducks and 8
species of sparrows!

Probably the best bird of the day was the first-of-the-year(for me, at
least) Tree Swallow.

However, the highlight of the trip for me was an excellent view of a
prairie-race Merlin eating what we decided was a House Finch.

Other highlights included:

A stunning male Bufflehead in direct sunlight.

Three Soras vocalizing at the same time(thanks, Stuart!)

A Peregrine Falcon that flew over our heads as it attacked a duck.

An excellent scope view of a Lark Sparrow near the picnic tables on Moson
Rd.

And a large mixed flock of Yellow-headed and Red-winged Blackbirds.

Mark Krenitsky
Sierra Vista, AZ