Date: 1/27/18 6:43 pm
From: Olga Harbour <oharbour...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ Chiricahuas and Willcox
Hello Birders,

This morning Bob and I decided to have lunch in Portal, so we headed to
Pinery Canyon Road, over the top, and on down the other side. Highlights
of our time in the mountains were HAIRY WOODPECKER along the lower
portion of Pinery Canyon Road and MEXICAN CHICKADEE mixed in with a
flock of PYGMY NUTHATCH near Barfoot Junction.  About midway between
Onion Saddle and Barfoot Junction, two CLARK'S NUTCRACKERS flew over as
we were heading downhill.

At Bob Rodrigues's we were treated to three species of towhee:
GREEN-TAILED, SPOTTED, and CANYON, along with NORTHERN CARDINAL and
PYRRHULOXIA.  BLACK-THROATED SPARROWS were abundant at the various feeders.

On the way back to Tucson we took a quick drive around Lake Cochise.  At
the golf course pond we were delighted to see a BADGER making its way
across the parking area.  The GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE continue at
Lake Cochise.  I'm pretty sure we also spotted several SNOW GEESE
hunkered down in the tall grass at the NW corner of the lake.

There are a few icy patches along the road over the mountain, mostly in
the shade spots.  We took it easy going through there and experienced no
problems.

Good birding!

Olga Harbour
Tucson, AZ