Date: 1/27/18 6:02 pm
From: LEE FRIEDMAN <lfried6...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Three California Thrashers singing along Nimitz Way from Inspiration Point to Wildcat Peak
I birded from Inspiration Point to Wildcat Peak along the Nimitz Way this morning. I think the highlight is the beginning seasonal change: three California Thrashers were singing mightily at different points (two on opposite sides of the trail about 100 yards north of the Redwood Grove, the third past the 1.5 mile marker and just before entering the long Eucalyptus strand which ends at the Wildcat Peak cutoff trail). Hearing just one is reason enough for me to go birding. At the 1.5 mile marker there was also a Northern Harrier hovering briefly over a field by the EBMUD-Tilden border. Six Pygmy Nuthatches in conifers near Inspiration Point were sharing the trees with a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, Hutton’s Vireo, Townsend’s Warbler and Hairy Woodpecker.

My reference to beginning seasonal change is also prompted by the singing all this month of the Oak Titmice in my north Berkeley neighborhood—a phenomenon that occurs every year, but usually not until March.

Full eBird list of the Inspiration Point outing with 24 species and some photos is here:

https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42291103

Good birding,

Lee Friedman

Join us on Facebook!