Date: 1/27/18 4:22 pm
Subject: 3 Short-eared Owls, Long-billed Curlews, 100s of Marbled Godwits, White Pelicans - Cape Romain NWR
John Cox and I enjoyed THREE Short-eared Owls in one spot this
afternoon on a remote island in Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge.

One was a single/loner; two stuck very closely together in friendly
fashion and seemed for all the world like a mated pair. I uploaded
some cloudy-day photos of the Short-eared Owls on my Flickr page:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_offshorebirder2_&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=4KarVhTNkZJ25DTeGj_31iXbszkUiX9Hyco6MViA7vo&s=UfdVsiAs-AjY1UFoIEXioMKeZhm8ggHarh1GRV52ODk&e=

flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2

We also had two Long-billed Curlews in what seems to be their new
favorite spot - not in their former haunts around Key Inlet. A few
White Pelicans were on a sandbar/shell rake in Bulls Bay.

Sea Ducks were bouncing around Bulls Bay and the ocean - plenty of
Scoters, some Lesser Scaup, what I think were some Long-tailed Ducks
and lots of Bufflehead, mergansers, etc.

We came upon a nice high tide roost of shorebirds on expansive oyster
reefs near the mouth of Graham Creek. There were about 500 Marbled
Godwits packed tight, probably twice that many Short-billed Dowitchers
and close to 4500 Dunlin. Plenty of American Oystercatchers and a few
dozen Willet were also present. Lesser numbers of Ruddy Turnstones
were also scattered about.

We were almost back to the hill before we saw our first Bald Eagle for
the day.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!