Date: 1/27/18 12:22 pm
From: Anderson, Leif E -FS <leanderson...>
Subject: Audubon Surveys for Nuthatches or Bluebirds. An easy, really exciting, Citizen Science project
Greetings all,
Here is an exciting opportunity to help Bird & Climate Science.
In 2014 Audubon released the "Birds and Climate Report". The report created a species response to climate, with > 50% of North American bird species expected to lose > 50% of their climatic range. You can go to www.climate.audubon.org to see the maps, the report and FAQs.

Since 2014 Audubon's scientists have added habitat to the climate model.
Now it's our turn to help birds, by counting birds to validate and refine the Bird Climate Models.
You can get more info about these surveys at: www.audubon.org/news/climate-watch-program
In June 2017, 31 chapters with 337 volunteers participated doing 28,000 points. With the AR River Valley chapter's 2 volunteers doing 1% of all the points.

About the surveys:
Jan 15 - Feb 15 or May 15 - June 15;
A block has 12 points and each point is exactly 5 minutes;
They take 2-6 hrs to complete, with 3 hrs being normal;
A block needs to be done in one day, before noon;
You have to be able to identify your target species (either Eastern Bluebird or the nuthatches), but not all other species. (Though if you know others, that is great.);
You can listen/look at all the target species on the website;
1-3 observers are allowed per point;
You can do as many blocks as you want.

The Jan 15 -Feb 15, 2018 surveys:
Each Audubon chapter has an assigned territory and I'm the coordinator for the AR River Valley Audubon chapter. We are a small chapter with a large territory, so we really could USE YOUR HELP. Our territory goes from Camp Robinson WMA, West to Russellville, South to Ola and North to Pelsor. I've scouted the habitat and established the directions, so all you have to do is have fun counting birds!
The only data to record is your number of observers; your point start time and the birds seen.

Below is a list of available blocks, with their general area and the target species. Most of these are by vehicle and 1 with walking.
If you see any surveys that you like, please reply and I'll send you the map, directions and checklist.

673 Nuthatch: BELL SLOUGH. A combination of driving and walking.

General Area:
Menifee - almost to Morgan:
673 Bluebird: Starting at the Bell Slough Parking lot, then continuing S on Hwy 365 towards Palarm Creek.
774 Bluebird: Starting at the junction of Hwy 286 & Rooster rd, then N, Hwy 64 and onto Hwy 36.
778 Bluebird: From I40 at Menifee and then N on Bell Mt Rd.
779 Bluebird: From Beaverfork N on Hwy 25, then onto Hwy 285, past Wooster.
780 Bluebird: From the junction of Hwy 36 & Hwy 287, then N on Hwy 287.

Morrilton to Plumerville, North of the River:
777 Bluebird: N of Plumerville. Starting on Hwy287, then onto Hwy 92.
741 Bluebird: Morrilton Bottoms, East of Hwy 9.

Morrilton to Atkins:
775 Nuthatch: From Blackwell to N of Morrilton.
738 Bluebird: Petit Jean SP.
739 Bluebird: Petit Jean Mtn.
776 Bluebird: N of Morrilton.

Opello almost to Lake Maumelle:
670 Nuthatch: South of Perryville & Harris Brake. Hwy 216 then Hwy 300.
671 Nuthatch: S of Pleasant Valley. From the Tram Rd onto Hwy 113 towards Lake Maumelle.
704 Nuthatch: From junction of Hwy 113 & Bone Hollow Rd. West to Hwy 9, then into Harris Brake and finishing on Hwy 300.
705 Nuthatch: From Houston out Bethel Rd and Gunther Rd.
740 Nuthatch: S of Oppelo.
670 Bluebird: South of Perryville & Harris Brake. Hwy 216 then Hwy 300.
671 Bluebird: S of Pleasant Valley on Hwy 300, then Hwy 300/113.
704 Bluebird: Starting 4 miles East of the junction of Hwy 300 & 216, then West, near Harris Brake.
705 Bluebird: From Houston and heading East on Hwy 60.
740 Bluebird: SW of Oppelo at junction of Brandon & Arena Rds. Onto Timberlake Rd, then W Perry co Rd and E Perry co Rd.

Casa to Adona, near hwy 10:
701 Nuthatch: Hwy 155, South to Hwy 10 and North on Needmore Rd.
702 Nuthatch: Starting near Casa & Hwy 10. Going North on Co rd 30, then Hwy 155 & Hwy 147.
701 Bluebird: From the Needmore Cemetery, South on Needmore Rd and West on Hwy 10.

Holla Bend NWR West to Mt. George:
736 Bluebird: Mt George area.
737 Bluebird: Starting on the refuge, going South West to centerville.
773 Bluebird: Starting on the refuge, going West to hwy 7.
Danville to Havana:
734 Bluebird: South East of Belleville.
735 Bluebird: Spring Lake to Belleville.

Ozark National Forest:
From Hector west to Hagarville, North to Deer and East to Witts Spring.
MANY Bluebird and Nuthatch blocks have been designed. Tell me you favorite area.

Atkins- Russellville - Dover:
Bluebirds not designed, but could easily be created for you.

Audubon has set a 50 mile radius from a chapters surveyed blocks, to keep the statistics strong. If your home is in that radius you don't have to do 10 blocks to establish an area. Even one block would be a huge help.
The 50 mile circle for the AR River Valley chapter:
East: Buffalo City-Mountain View-Heber Springs-Cabot-Galloway-Higgins.
South: Bryant-Malvern-Bismark-Norman.
West: Waldron-Mansfield-Greenwood-Alma-Mountainburg.
North: Elkins-Huntsville-Berryville-Burlington-Lead Hill-Yellville.
If you don't see your home patch listed, and you want to survey in the above area, then email me. We can work together to design a route.

If you want to do a survey on an already created area, or want to design a new one, I'd love to hear from you.

I pre-thank you for all the help you're giving to birds & climate! Cheers, Leif at Hector