Date: 1/26/18 4:50 pm
From: Kenneth Blankenship <kenhblankenship...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Almost No More Sinaloa
Hi, Thor!

Forgive my asking, but just how well did you (and others) see the shrike? I was there between 9:30am-1:30pm or so, and someone told me about a shrike going after the wren in the dense cover along the river, as you describe. My instinctive response was like "Wow! Really?! A shrike in here? In a dense riparian corridor??" But he was insistent, and I shrugged it off as being a bird that maybe goes in there to hunt sometimes but is only present because of the nearby open ag fields, pastures, etc. I mean, even still... if that were the case, it *still* would surprise me because that's just not how they hunt, it's not their habitat, it's not their behavior. Anyhow, after some time a Northern Mockingbird that was loosely associating with the flock of Rufous-backed Robins came flying into the brush across the river from behind us. The birder who passed along the shrike story exclaimed, "There's the shrike now! You see?" So it got me scratching my head about the whole thing. Any more details to share, or pics of the shrike??

Thanks!
Ken Blankenship

Sent from my iPhone