Date: 1/26/18 2:06 pm
From: Al Eisner <eisner...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Lewis's Woodpecker in San Mateo county this century
After getting a nice view of the continuing Filoli Lewis's Woodpecker
late morning today, I checked my email records both for my own past
sightings of the species in San Mateo County and other reports on
pen-birds. The first one I saw was a bird found in Dec. 2000 on the
Crystal Springs CBC, also at Filoli. Next were two birds found by Ron
Thorn and myself at Coyote Point in September 2003 (I likely saw
both, but Ron confirmed the number by seeing them together). Next
were two at Alpine Lake through the fall of 2003, and into February,
2004, also found by Ron. My fourth was the current bird (found by Sue
James and others).

Other sightings I noted: one in Windy Hill OSP seen in October, 2003
(Jan Hintermeister), so 2003 was a good year. Next was a bird at
Jasper Ridge in October, 2009, found by Ron and Leonie Batkin. Ron
also had one at San Bruno Mountain in Oct. 2013, and has also observed
the species a number of times (I don't know how many) as flyovers at
hawk-watch locations. [And it's possible I may have failed to save
other reports, but was too laxy to search the pen-birds archives.]
So far as I can tell, eBird adds just few more reports from along the Skyline
Blvd. area from the fall-winter of 2003-2004 (plus a bunch of pre-2000
historical reports).

So not quite as rare in the county as one might think, but still a
great bird. Thanks to all those who found these birds and/or got
the word out.

Al Eisner

Posted by: Al Eisner <eisner...>

<*> Your email settings: