Date: 1/26/18 11:50 am
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Almost No More Sinaloa
Hi birders: This morning, before 9:00 a.m. the Sinaloa Wren was seen around the junked cars on De Anza Trail south of the gate and maybe .4 of a mile. I got there just after nine, by which time the bird had vacated the immediate area. I spent some time looking through the leaf litter from the trail East towards the river, but no luck. Shortly thereafter a " compassionate " fellow birder who had seen the bird earlier came back to tell me it had been relocated north of where the tree root crosses the trail heading back towards the gate. Indeed the Sinaloa was there doing its usual thing there; foraging under the leaves on the East side of the trail. The few birders there at the time got brief looks at the bird. I followed it with my bins after it crossed a log, and it was foraging near a debris pile when a Loggerhead Shrike flew in after it. In a split second I saw both birds dive into the brush pile. The shrike emerged shortly thereafter, and flew across the river, seemingly without the wren. I waited for the wren to emerge, but I never did see it. Some other birders arrived and we started to search south along the trail South where Song Sparrows, a House Wren and a Bewick's Wren could be seen foraging around the path. Shortly thereafter, another birder spotted the Sinaloa. It went under a log near the trail, and, when it emerged on the other side it gave full, sun on, picture quality looks for at least a minute as it sat up on a low stump/branch. Then it flew across the river. This site was only about 10-15 yards north of where the tree root crosses the trail.

A pair of Rufous backed Robins were also in that area.

A second hand report indicated that the Rose throated Becard had been seen earlier in Cottonwoods down Santa Gertrudis Lane towards the river. Quite a nice menagerie of birds for such a small geographical area.

So for all those birders who have still not seen the Sinaloa Wren, or have, but wanted better looks, photos, or whatever, you can be grateful for its agility, and awareness, as it was very, very, close to being a " shrike sandwich "! Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson

Green Valley