Date: 1/26/18 3:52 am
From: Diane Touret <dctouret...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Clark's Crossing (Carmen) - Winter Wren 1/24/18
Yesterday I had excellent close views of a WINTER WREN at Clark's
Crossing Rd in Carmen. The wren was working in the stream-side litter
and foraging along the water's edge around 9:20AMand it was very vocal.
I clearly saw the spotted wings and noticed that the reddish tail
contrasted with the back color.

Later I tried for the Sinaloa Wren at nearby Santa Gertrudis Lane but
missed it by about an hour. I was hoping to see both a northern visiting
wren and a southern visiting wren within a couple of miles of each other
- but it wasn't to be! Did see a Rufous-backed Robin out in the open and
watched 6 Western Bluebirds bath in the stream. I also heard that a
Green Kingfisher had been seen, but that it eventually flew downriver.
The elusive Fox Sparrow that has been reported a few times in the Santa
Gertrudis Lane area was also apparently seen very briefly.

The old Anza Trail down the east side of the western branch of the Santa
Cruz River at Clark's Crossing was full of sparrows of several
varieties, although there were surprisingly no White-Crowns! I was
hoping for something rare but had to settle for the usual riparian
wintering and resident sparrows - Chipping, Song, Lincoln's, and
Rufous-winged(also Green-tailed and Abert's Towhees).

Diane Touret  (Tucson,AZ)