Date: 1/25/18 5:40 pm
From: Mitchell Pruitt <0000000b4ac30a99-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: First State Record Bean-Goose!
Birding is a more casual version of ornithology, which is a science, and collection of a new species in the state most definitely falls into the category of science. This was not an Audubon-esque expedition, merely hunters doing their thing, which isn’t far off from many of our conservation views. Coming from someone who grew up in northeastern Arkansas and is quite familiar with very large flocks of geese, there would have been minimal chance of picking this individual out of a flock of Greater White-fronted Geese on the ground or in flight; especially given the lack of bird-finding effort in the region, from birders and researchers alike.

These hunters likely did not shoot this goose because they singled it out as unusual, but because it was just another "specklebelly". I commend them for coming forward with the find, as some would think it difficult to do once they realized it was something not covered under sportsman guidelines in the state. From the hunters' perspective, there would have been almost no way to determine it to be different on the wing, among what may have been hundreds of potentially similar-looking geese.

Most hunters know their waterfowl as well or better than many birders and it is not reasonable to be prepared for every single vagrant that could cross in front of their gunsights, especially given a species that very much looks like an aberrant color morph of a more common species (Greater White-fronted Goose). If the hunters targeted this bird as a trophy, then I will gladly eat my words, but I highly doubt that is the case.

Without the efforts of these hunters, this interesting record would likely have gone undocumented. Thanks to them coming forward. I hope the specimen will find a home in an ornithological collection somewhere...a collection that can provide extremely valuable information to researchers exploring the vagrant tendencies of the Tundra/Taiga Bean Goose.

As for unsubscribing from this list, I believe the command “UNSUBSCRIBE” can be sent to <listserv...>

Mitchell Pruitt

Sent from my iPhone.

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 13:51, Dustin Meadows <Dustin_Meadows...> wrote:
>
> I’ve had enough. Please remove me from this list.

Join us on Facebook!