Date: 1/25/18 4:31 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Putnam and Mason Counties: Rough-legged Hawk, Ross's and Snow Geese, Great Black-backed Gull
I made the long drive south to those 2 counties today in search of birds
not regularly seen in northern WV, and finished up in Wood County.
Highlights:

Putnam County, Winfield Lock and Dam and wetlands:

Canada Goose--30
Gadwall--10
Mallard--40
Common Goldeneye--2, seen from south shore
Hooded Merganser--4
Double-crested Cormorant--1
Great Blue Heron--1
Red-shouldered Hawk--1
Ring-billed Gull--1
Northern Mockingbird--3
White-throated Sparrow--1

Route 817, Mason County, south of Point Pleasant:

ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK--1 continuing light morph juvenile, in tree in field
opposite McAusland Farm
Red-tailed Hawk--1
American Kestrel--7
American Crow--300
European Starling--875
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW--4, all juveniles

Tu-Endie-Wei State Park, Point Pleasant:

Pied-billed Grebe--1
Ring-billed Gull--5

Gallipolis Ferry gravel pit, Mason County, where I arrived just after Mike
Griffith and Janet Keating. The pit is about 15-20% open water now:

Ring-necked Duck--9
Greater Scaup--8

Apple Grove Fish Hatchery/Robert Byrd Locks and Dam. All but a few birds
were above the dam and at the fish hatchery:

Canada Goose--at least 565, many on the island with their heads tucked in.
Cackling Goose--I couldn't find any, but there could have been some hidden
among the Canada Geese.
SNOW GOOSE--2 reported earlier by Mike Griffith
ROSS'S GOOSE--5 reported earlier by Mike Griffith
Tundra Swan--2 immatures reported earlier by Mike Griffith
Gadwall--2
Greater Scaup--4
Lesser Scaup--3
Canvasback--94
Bufflehead--2
Double-crested Cormorant--2
Northern Harrier--1 female
Red-shouldered Hawk--1
Ring-billed Gull-5
Herring Gull--4
GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL--1 immature. Perhaps 1 of the birds seen about 3
weeks ago further north at Willow Island Lock and Dam.
American Kestrel--2

Route 2 just south of Crab Creek Road, Mason County:

Northern Harrier--1 male

Belleville Lock and Dam, Wood County:

Redhead--3
Greater Scaup--5