Date: 1/24/18 6:47 pm
From: Leonie Batkin <leonie.batkin23...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Lewis's Woodpecker and two Thank You's
Today around 2:25pm I saw the Lewis’s Woodpecker at Filoli. It was on a pole not far from the kiosk. Thanks Leslie for getting the word out. This is only the second Lewis’s Woodpecker I have seen in San Mateo County, the first being a young bird in 2009 at Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve.

One of my 2018 resolutions is to be thankful and grateful for people in my life. Earlier this month I expressed gratitude for the work that Malia and Chris are doing on the cumulative year list. Tonight I am expressing a deep sense of gratitude to Malia DeFelice for her volunteer work for Cornell University’s eBird. Malia has tirelessly been reviewing records old and new. It is a rewarding and challenging task. I am an eBird light user. I plan to improve that as a result of Malia’s example. I personally know many reviewers in California and other states. They spend hours at the computer when they would rather be out in the field. All for SCIENCE and the local birding community. So THANK YOU tonight Malia. As the Dalai Lama says: The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.

Leonie Batkin

Join us on Facebook!