Date: 1/24/18 11:21 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET N.U. Lagoon Ross's Geese Gone by 10 a.m. Wed 1-14-18
Hello Bird People,

Haven't been birding since Sunday as I have acquired my 1st bad cold
since I retired several years ago. But I saw Tamima'a report on Ross's
Geese at the N.U. Lagoon & as it was a recent report & not far away I
decided to give it a try. Should have stayed home!

Walked up to the Lagoon from the south where the Geese had been seen
but I could see I was in trouble as NO Geese of any kind were in the
Lagoon. The only birds at the south end were Herring Gulls & 2
Mallards. I eventually did find 23 Canada Geese on the lawn just west
of the Lagoon but no white Geese were with them. The only other
waterfowl present were Goldeneye, R.B. Mergs & 2 Ring Billed Gulls.
Looked at the 21 Mallards along the shore in case one of the Black
Crowned Night Herons was around but I saw none there nor in the trees
were they sometimes roost. Checked the lake in case the Goose Gang was
there but all I found was a large flock of Mergansers. After a full
hour of searching I gave up but on my way out 4 Hooded Mergansers
landed in the Lagoon.

Just in case the white geese were nearby I checked Wilmette Harbor at
Gillson Park but only found 14 Canada Geese, 5 Goldeneye & a pair of
Common Mergansers. Not my day & now I feel even sicker than before as
my headache is worse than when I started.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Hooded Mergansers & Runner-Up to the Common Mergansers.

Al Stokie
Making myself more ill than before in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: