Date: 1/24/18 9:06 am
Subject: Space on this weekend's pelagic trip
I wanted to let everyone know that we still have space for more birders on this weekend’s boat trip from Hatteras. This will be our first trip of the year, and since December we have seen the arrival of many Razorbills and a few Manx Shearwaters (noted from the beach.) Our December trip also had a Great Skua and two Iceland Gulls. Over the years, we have seen Great Skuas on about 60% of our winter trips from Hatteras. The water is quite a bit cooler now than it was a few weeks ago, especially north of the Cape, so I am hoping there could be some Dovekies and puffins lurking offshore. Compared to spring and summer, these trips are much closer to shore, and we encounter many more birds altogether. Right now there are many hundreds of Razorbills, loons, and Bonaparte’s Gulls in the near shore waters. We have often found Little Gull on these boat trips since we began doing them in the mid 1990s. These trips are also great for bird photography, including the chance to get photos of diving gannets.

After this weekend, we have birding trips going from Hatteras every weekend in February, weather permitting. The trip on Feb. 3 is a charter, but they are open to having a few people from outside their group join the trip.

These are all day trips offshore aboard a sea kindly 56’ boat. Our boat is inspected annually by the USCG and we have been operating these trips for many years.

For more info about our trips, see www.seabirding.com/ <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.seabirding.com_&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=qRO_kAz7ZTSXvoDixVfaQNMrvlJyG-QOPeC1Fa2nOQg&s=WQXN1jIRBBjMxJNJzdmFztFKskGUR_SEUBdB-RSGY5k&e= >

I can also be reached at (252) 986-1363, and I am happy to answer questions about the trips.

Thanks,

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC

Join us on Facebook!