Date: 1/24/18 5:39 am
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
After missing two weeks in a row, I must say it was great being back doing
the bird census. Thanks to the rest of our crew for taking care of it in my
absence. It was chilly but the weather was a big improvement over yesterday
when the wind was blowing over 40 mph at times. The bird of the day was a
Rusty Blackbird that we found just past Meadow Pond. This species of
blackbird is becoming harder and harder to find on the refuge. The bird
flew up out of a marshy area into a tree near us affording all a great
view. Another interesting find was a flock of 12 Inca Doves in a yard on
the way to the Goode area. That is only the second time that I have seen
that many Inca Doves together in the county. We took Raasch Trail early on
and saw a lot of raptor acitivity. Red-tailed hawks, Red-shouldered Hawks
and Northern Harriers, were in abundance. The harriers were scaring up
lots of Savannah Sparrows while they were hunting. We also saw a flock of
Wild Turkeys at the far end of the large field. On Wildlife Drive, Northern
Pintails were abundant as were lesser amounts of Mallards and other ducks,
including 10 Canvasbacks. We saw quite a few Long-billed Dowitchers near
the observation platform on Egret and near 'J" pad. There was a Spotted
Towhee at a feeder near headquarters. The white geese are still present
with a count of 1650. We finished the day with 77 species.
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!