Date: 1/23/18 4:17 pm
From: Jimmy Woodard <j.woodard...>
Subject: FW: eBird Report - Lake Waurika--Dam, Jan 23, 2018
Nadine and I took a trip down to Waurika this morning. we missed the LT Ducks and WW
Scoters on our first pass across the dam. There was a boat near the intake tower so i
suspect it had spooked the ducks away from the dam. We came back by later and the scoters
and LTails were right off the dam just west of the tower.
The number of Ring-bill Gulls was staggering. They were everywhere both on the water and
in the air. There were large flocks sitting on the water everywhere on the lake we went.
Our number estimate is assuredly too low.
The duck numbers were way down. Perhaps with icing conditions no longer present across
the state, the ducks are free to go elsewhere now.

Jimmy Woodard
Midwest City, OK

Lake Waurika--Dam, Jefferson, Oklahoma, US Jan 23, 2018 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
10.0 mile(s)
61 species (+1 other taxa)

Snow Goose 65
Ross's Goose 7
Greater White-fronted Goose 30
Cackling Goose 25
Canada Goose 400
Gadwall 12
Mallard 20
Redhead 5
Lesser Scaup 14
White-winged Scoter 5 previous reported birds. all mostly dark with white smudges between eye and bill. white wing patches.
Long-tailed Duck 5
Bufflehead 25
Common Goldeneye 3
Hooded Merganser 30
Ruddy Duck 10
Northern Bobwhite 1
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Neotropic Cormorant 2 seen fairly well on the water and in flight. much smaller than the DC's.
Double-crested Cormorant 1300
American White Pelican 85
Great Blue Heron 4
Black Vulture 8
Turkey Vulture 2
Northern Harrier 9
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 25
American Coot 50
Bonaparte's Gull 20
Ring-billed Gull 5500
Herring Gull 12
Forster's Tern 1 1 winter plumaged bird perched on a buoy near a boat ramp on the west side of the lake.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 30
Eurasian Collared-Dove 4
Greater Roadrunner 1
Long-eared Owl 5 previously reported birds.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
American Kestrel 2