Date: 1/23/18 12:53 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] What do y'all make of this woodpecker?

Hey, folks. Check out this woodpecker, which I photographed yesterday,
Mon., Jan. 22, at the Lake Park Open Space, Boulder County:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M5YVk0vYwAI/Wmeb4Yt8BYI/AAAAAAAAWUU/EIwMKSCy5745z3VSQVY6uu48lyRIq3rIQCLcBGAs/s1600/99-8%2Bflicker.jpg>

If this photo were from, oh I dunno, Yuma, Arizona, or somewhere, wouldn't
we call this a male Gilded Flicker? It's got the all-brown crown, the
extensive black tail tips, the big black oval on the breast, the pale back,
and of course the telltale red malar and bright yellow in the wing and
tail. I well realize that we're not in Yuma. But, other than the
probabilistic argument, can anybody talk me away from the ledge of calling
this a Gilded Flicker?

Sorry, I have no other photos. When I was in the field, I assumed I was
looking at a Red-shafted x Yellow-shafted. I will say that two impressions
struck me at the time: (1) the truly yellow hues to the wings and tail; (2)
a sweetness and wimpiness about the *whirrr* flushing call.

Also of interest at the Lake Park Open Space was a flock of 10 Steller's
Jays. This is the same place that for several years was the easternmost
outpost in Boulder County for Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay.

Ted Floyd

Lafayette, Boulder County