Date: 1/23/18 4:02 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 1/18/2018
I was finally able to conduct my first Poplar Island census of the year on Thursday.

The cells were mostly frozen which pushed the waterfowl just offshore where they were easier to count. Particularly numerous were Common Goldeneye (48) and Red-breasted Merganser (55).

I also found 11 Short-eared Owls and 1 Black-crowned Night-Heron at the barges.

There appears to be an overwintering Belted Kingfisher on the island.

Only one cell was inaccessible. MES staff found a Snowy Owl there on the following day. (I missed it on my census.)

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42052803

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD