Date: 1/22/18 3:09 pm
From: 'Beilke, Stephanie' <sbeilke...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET No sightings: Participate in Climate Watch Surveys in Cook Co, IL!
Are you looking for a birding activity to do this winter? Please join us for the first Climate Watch survey happening in Cook County, IL!

Climate Watch is a citizen science monitoring program led by the National Audubon Society. This special bird survey compiles survey data on focal species in order to validate models of how we expect species ranges will shift due to climate change. This winter, we will be surveying for White- and Red-breasted Nuthatches in Cook County, IL.

To participate, you will select 12 point count locations in woodland areas within a 6x6-mile block of your choosing. Point counts are conducted in a single day and are 5 minutes long and 200 meters apart. These surveys can all be conducted along the same trail if you like. You don't need to know how to identify all bird species to help, you only need to identify nuthatches, though counting any birds you can identify will be helpful. You can choose to participate in winter (Jan 15-Feb 15) and/or spring (May 15-June 15). All data are submitted through eBird<ebird.org>. If you are already conducting surveys or regular visits to a certain area, consider adding the Climate Watch protocol to your surveys! Your survey data are incredibly valuable as we try to understand how species adapt to climate change.

If you are interested in learning more, please contact Stephanie Beilke at <sbeilke...><mailto:<sbeilke...>

More information on the Climate Watch Protocol is also available at audubon..org/climatewatch

If you'd like to participate outside of Cook County, consider coordinating your own survey effort! More information again is at audubon.org/climatewatch

Thank you!

Stephanie Beilke
Conservation Science Associate
Audubon Great Lakes
17 N. State Street, Suite 1690
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 453-0230 ext. 2009

Follow Audubon Great Lakes on social media!
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/AudubonGreatLakes/> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/audubongreatlakes/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/audubonchicago>
www.greatlakes.audubon.org

Join us on Facebook!