Date: 1/22/18 2:31 pm
From: Bill Thurman <bill.masterofmusic...>
Subject: Food for thought
"If you take care of the birds, you take care of most of the big problems
in the world." This is a statement made by Thomas Lovejoy found when I
looked at the section, Why Birds Matter when I looked through the Jan. 2018
issue of National Geographic Magazine.
On another note, I drove down Military Rd east from Marion AR this
morning (toward the Mississippi River) hoping to find some Am. Kestrels,
just because. I got lucky enough and found two not far from where Military
Rd meets Mound Bayou Rd. There are lots of agricultural fields and farms
and plenty of interspersed wooded areas. There's a good marshy area with
ducks and other water fowl closer to Marion itself. I also saw:

2 E. Bluebirds

2 common seagulls

Small flock of sparrows (possibly Savanah)

Small flock of Am. Robins in a nice front yard pecan orchard at one of the
farms

1 Red-tailed Hawk on the wing

2 Northern Shovelers and several hens

20+ Ring Billed Ducks male and female

1 Am. Coot

Several Canada Geese

It was nice seeing these on a mild sunny day, especially after the icy
gloom of the last few days. There are a few good areas around here.

Bill Thurman

Join us on Facebook!