Date: 1/22/18 9:32 am
From: Weiskotten, Kurt <kweiskotten...>
Subject: Re: Hawks being shot and killed
Here in NY, I have raised free range chickens for 10 years. They are kept in a coop or fenced yard when no one is home.
The vast majority of my chicken loss has been from Coopers Hawks. Of course I have plenty of bird feeders that bring them around more often, but hey hawks need to eat too! Red tails abound as well, but they have never taken a chicken, although I'm sure they do elsewhere. Occasionally, a grey fox gets one, and rarely a coyote. But I would never shoot a hawk - it is after all against the law - without a permit. If these people are raising chickens as a living and for income then they should pursue the nuisance predator route. Otherwise hawk kills are part of owning chickens.

Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone