Date: 1/22/18 8:53 am
Subject: Re: Hawks being shot and killed
Also, for what it’s worth, it’s often Cooper’s Hawks taking the chickens. The Cooper’s Hawks, appear, grab one, take off, as Cooper’s Hawks are wont to do. The chicken owners see a Red-tail and shoot it because they’re big and obvious. But not always the guilty party, in fact usually not.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

On Jan 22, 2018, at 11:02 AM, <scompton1251...><mailto:<scompton1251...> wrote:

Teri Lynn,

Studies done in the 30's showed that Red-tailed Hawks and other birds of prey are a net benefit to domestic fowl, as they prefer rodents and control rodent populations that prey on eggs. While law enforcement can be used as a last resort the better method is to provide the farmer with education.

The Clemson Extension agent could be helpful.

Steve Compton

Greenville, SC