Date: 1/21/18 5:36 pm
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Sequoia Audubon bike-birding trip report, 1/21/2018
A group of 9 bicycling birders birded today along the San Mateo bayshore
today on a Sequoia Audubon field trip, starting at Seal Point, and working
up to Coyote Point. Off of Seal Point we noted many distant scaup, and
enjoyed a large variety of gulls at the San Mateo Creek, including many MEW
GULLS, and some lovely adult ICELAND (THAYER'S) GULLS. An OSPREY gave us a
nice

Heading north to Coyote Point, the biggest surprise was 22 SURFBIRDS and
about as many BLACK TURNSTONES on a breakwater. Is this Surfbird abundance
a reflection of high surf on the ocean? I have only noted such a large
concentration once before, also at Coyote Point in January. Checking the
small freshwater marsh, we enjoyed 4 WILSON'S SNIPES.

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--
Robert Furrow