Date: 1/21/18 4:35 pm
From: Adam Dudley <adam.dudley...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] coastal birding 1/21
Hi folks, Jane and I headed out to the coast this morning to see if we could see any whales moving (no) and if there were many birds out there. We started at Pomponio beach where it was nice to see 4 WHITE-WINGED SCOTER among the large scoter flock offshore. More surprising was a male LONG-TAILED DUCK that flew past heading South at mid-distance after about half an hour of sea-watching. His long thin dark tail, all-dark wings and breast, white belly and back, and white head with brownish face were distinctive. There was also two MARBLED MURRELETS quite close in to shore here.

We then checked out Pigeon Point, and the swell was huge! It made seawtaching difficult, but we managed to see another 4 marbled murrelets in the bay to the South of the lighthouse.  Among the many black turnstones and surfbirds on the rocks immediately beneath the viewing platform was a RUDDY TURNSTONE.

Good birding,

Adam

Join us on Facebook!