Date: 1/21/18 3:14 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: DUNLIN CONTINUES AT CENTERTON HATCHERY
My first Dunlins last fall were two on a drained pond adjacent Alma Wastewater Treatment Facility on November 15, 2017. I saw one at Craig State Fish Hatchery in Centerton a few days later, on November 20. I have found a single Dunlin at Centerton on most subsequent trips, including today. Over the years, we’ve had very few remain in northwest Arkansas after fall migration. One of the places where we’ve gotten them a few times at mid-winter are big mudflats that form on SWEPCO Lake, visible from Eagle Watch Nature Trail near Gentry. After seeing the Dunlin at Centerton this morning, I drove over to Eagle Watch just in case. Mudflats are extensive and promising. There were Wilson’s Snipe (7), Least Sandpipers (5), American Pipits, etc but no Dunlin. I doubt this is the last word, especially at Eagle Watch. We will for sure check this out during our Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society field trip to Eagle Watch on Saturday, February 3.

Join us on Facebook!