Date: 1/20/18 6:01 pm
From: Adam Dudley <adam.dudley...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Allen's hummingbirds and Ferruginous hawk Burleigh Murray
Hi everyone, after the women's march at Pacifica, Jane and I headed to Burleigh Murray for a stroll to the barn and back. It was quite windy, so the birds were largely keeping their heads down. But just after leaving the parking lot we saw a FERRUGINOUS HAWK over the ridge to the right of the trail. It was keeping company with a few red-tailed hawks and was our companion on-and-off as we walked along the trail. Maybe its one of the birds that have been seen further South along the coast? This is the first time we've seen a Ferruginous here :-)

We were equally surprised to find three separate, displaying ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRDS between the parking lot and the barn. We really enjoyed watching their display: “shuttling” back and forth rapidly, pausing briefly at the top of each arc, then heading up into the sky for a single high “dive” with the characteristic humming sound at the bottom of the dive. Just fantastic! Seems a little bit early?

We saw 27 species during our walk. Our eBird checklist with photos of the distant Ferruginous hawk and an Allen's hummingbird is here:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42109801

Good birding,

Adam

Join us on Facebook!