Date: 1/19/18 7:26 am
From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Where went the Pine Siskins
This winter, for the first time ever, we have Pine Siskins.  We normally have 50-100 American Goldfinches winter with us, and this year 4-5 Pine Siskins.  They are out there every day eating black oil sunflower seeds.  Monday night we got about an inch of snow.  Tuesday we had lots and lots of birds.  Except for the Pine Siskins.  Since we decided to stay off the roads on Tuesday we spent a lot of time watching our feeders.  One time, for about 10 seconds a single Pine Siskin swooped down grabbed a seed and was gone.  We never saw another one.  Wednesday, no Pine Siskins.  Thursday, no Pine Siskins.  Today, Friday, they are back.  It seems odd to me that they vanished while there was snow.  Has anybody else noticed that?  I wonder what they did for food during those three cold days.  Maybe they found someone who had a feeder on a heated porch.

Speaking of snow.  We always look forward to the snow days.  We usually get 4 or 5 Common Grackles and a couple Starlings.  Sometimes a few Red-winged Blackbirds and Rusty Blackbirds.  Plus a Fox Sparrow or two and several White-throated Sparrows.  These birds only visit when the ground is covered in snow.  One winter we started getting hundreds of blackbirds so we had to chase them off.  I don't keep THAT much sunflowerseeds on hand.
Looking forward to the next snow day.
Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!