Date: 1/13/18 10:29 pm
From: Bob Toleno <bob...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] RUSTY BLACKBIRD at MoonGlow Dairy, January 13
This afternoon around 2:30, Logan Kahle and i briefly stopped by MoonGlow
Dairy in Moss Landing, hoping to see some of the recent rarities there.
While birding the cattle pens looking for Cattle Egret or Yellow-headed
Blackbird, we were sorting through the 2-3,000 blackbirds present, when i
noticed one on the ground outside the pens with a distinctly rusty
coloration to its head and back. I realized i had a RUSTY BLACKBIRD in my
view. Logan got on it very quickly and got a few photographs. The bird flew
up and into a farther cattle pen with many other blackbirds. There were
hundreds of Brewer's and starlings, and a few dozens of Red-winged,
Tricolored, and cowbirds, and over a thousand "blackbird sp." Sorting
through the flock could take a while if you aren't as lucky as we were,
especially as the birds move around around a lot while foraging.

We were on our way back from a morning spent at the Big Sur River near Hwy
1, where we successfully chased the continuing Louisiana Waterthrush. It
took over three hours, but we eventually saw the bird on the south bank of
the creek, directly underneath the pedestrian footbridge nearest the
highway. It spent some time moving in the bushes and leaf litter about 50
feet from the water, also, giving great looks.

If you go to MoonGlow Dairy to look for the Rusty and you've never been
before, be sure to follow all guidelines for birding this private property:

http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/moonglow.html

Good birding,
Bob Toleno
Hayward