Date: 1/13/18 9:19 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Steller's Eider bill
I bailed out of my planned Clatsop loop and headed over from Brownmead to
the cove to see the eider. Just by chance I was studying up on female
eiders in the hope of finding just such a bird. In Reeber's book he
describes the bill as "a peculiar shape, with small extensions along the
edges of the upper mandible towards the tip and orientated obliquely
downwards". This feature was visible on the bird, my front on bill shot is
a tad dark and feature is hard to see. But check out Owen's front view (
probably taken at same moment as mine, bird looks in exact same position).
I assume that is what Reeber was trying to describe. Great bird.

Bob Archer
PDX

Join us on Facebook!