Date: 1/13/18 9:03 pm
From: Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Sea & Sage winter pelagic trip - Jan 13
Sea & Sage Audubon held their annual winter pelagic trip today, Jan 13, aboard the Ocean Institute's R/V Sea Explorer. We traveled the coast from San Mateo Point to Newport Beach, and out to the oil platforms (Edith, Ellen, and Eureka). We had beautiful weather and calm seas, but relatively few birds. We had great looks at an adult Brown Booby on a buoy just west of Newport Canyons. Other species encountered off shore included Cassin's Auklet, Sooty and Black-vented Shearwater, Pomarine Jaeger, Mew Gull, Herring Gull, Pacific Loon, and Peregrine Falcon. Non-avian highliughts were Pacific White-sided Dolphin, Long-beaked Common Dolphin, Gray Whale, Fin Whale, and Variegated Meadowhawk.
Tom Benson San Bernardino, CA

Join us on Facebook!