Date: 1/13/18 8:33 pm
From: William H Kaempfer <William.Kaempfer...>
Subject: [cobirds] exciting birding along the CO Front Range
Along with a large number of others, John Vanderpoel and I spent the day today birding from Denver to Pueblo, enjoying a really impressive number of January rarities.

We began the day at South Platte Reservoir with looks at Yellow-billed Loon and White-winged Scoter. If you stop here, don't forego going down to the end of the road to bird the Platte itself which is full of goldeneyes, Ring-necked Ducks, scaup, Wood Ducks and more.

Next we made our way to the Broadmoor area in Colorado Springs for Varied Thrush and Red-breasted Sapsucker, then on to West Pueblo for Scaled Quail and Curved-billed Thrashers. The reservoir itself was chock full of birders. Scanning the dam as we drove east along the north shore let us know that Pueblo County's Snowy Owl was still at about the same spot where Dale and Joel Adams found it yesterday-on the down side on the dam, sunning itself (and yawning lazily) against a large metal cylinder. The rock face of the dam on the west side had at least two Rock Wrens.

Back-tracking to West Fishing Road we found Common and Pacific Loon (for a three loon day), and then headed to the south marina. Another loon was out on the bay along with a couple of Western Grebes. The congregation of gulls included Lesser Black-backed, Great Black-backed and Iceland (Thayer's), plus a couple of Double-crested Cormorants.

From Pueblo Reservoir we headed west along CO 96 finding Mountain Bluebirds, a Loggerhead Shrike and lastly, two Chestnut-collared Longspurs in Custer County. There wasn't enough time to bird much in Fremont County, but we did find a couple of Juniper Titmice in a huge flock of juncos at Brush Hollow.

Bill Kaempfer
Boulder