Date: 1/13/18 6:40 pm
From: Barbara Carlson <barbarac2003...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Desert and mountains: Sagebrush Sparrow & Lewis's Woodpecker
Mel Senac, Nancy Christensen and I headed to Borrego Springs this morning, 13 Jan. Our most productive stop was the Borrego Springs WTP Settling Ponds. There we spied two (2) Sagebrush/Bell's Sparrow dashing on the ground with their tails cocked up. The one we were able to photograph was the Sagebrush Sparrow.
We continued into the Laguna Mountains to Agua Dulce Creek where it was cooler and breezy. We were pleased to re-find multiple Cassin's Finch and two (2) Golden-crowned Kinglet. However, we missed Williamson's Sapsucker. The road across from Pioneer Mail Trailhead yielded four (4) Lewis's Woodpecker fly-catching from the tall snags in the area.
Our last stop of the day was the Ramona Pond which was quite birdy. Best were seven (7) Greater White-fronted Goose.
Alas, we dipped on Bushtit and every towhee!
Barbara CarlsonSan Diego

Join us on Facebook!