Date: 1/13/18 6:16 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Waterfowl push 1/13/18
After hearing about the event happening overhead, I put chores aside and
watched the skies from my home in the 1st block of Noe St. Between roughly
2:45 and twilight, I had 7 flocks of geese go by. 5 were distant
northbound groups of approximately 10, 40,15, 20, and 10, and all were dark
and appeared to be Cacklers. The last flock at 4PM came from directly over
Buena Vista, flew NE over Duboce Park, and were definitely Cackling Geese.
The odd group was westbound, and in binos appeared to be larger and paler,
but that group changed course so abruptly that I completely lost them while
trying to get the scope on them. Then at 4:15, a small flock of Northern
Shovelers came from BV to Duboce on the NE vector. All of the flocks were
flying very high. Both of the identified species were new for my house
list, bringing my totals for this inland site to 110, including 4 species
of geese and only 3 of ducks.

Other highlights among the 22 species noted were Band-tailed Pigeon, 1 and
5, and a single White-throated Swift. Also fascinating was our local Black
Phoebe calling loudly while bathing in our neighbors swimming pool, right
at the 7 foot depth mark, a behavior I haven't seen before in 28 years
living here. This afternoon makes me wish we had a full-time, experienced
birder on every block in the city so we could have a better sense of what's
going on in any given moment and place.

Thanks to Dom for getting the word out about the flight.
Brian Fitch

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Dominik Mosur <polskatata...>
[SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Apologies for crossposting but this is relevant to all birders along the
> coast of Central California.
>
> There has been a massive movement of waterfowl all day today. Thousands of
> ducks and geese have been noted from various vantage points in San
> Francisco (most north from what I can tell)
>
> Despite the late hour, I've had several hundred geese streaming north over
> Corona Hill over the 3/4 hour.
>
> Looking forward to some other reports later today.
>
> Dominik Mosur
> San Francisco
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!