Date: 1/13/18 5:56 pm
From: Kurt via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Waterfowl along the Potomac in No VA
VA Birders,

I visited a few spots today for waterfowl. First stop was Occoquan Reg Park mid morning but no white winged gulls. Next stop was Belmont Marina, where I met up with Marc Ribaudo. Notable here was a Com Goldeneye plus Greater Scaup and Pied-billed Grebe. Most of the waterfowl were distant from here.

We went to Pohick Reg Park - several thousand waterfowl here but the strong wind and cold temps made viewing quite difficult. Highlights were Horned Grebe, No. Pintail, Greater Scaup and E. Phoebe.

We split up and I traveled to the GW Conference Center. A smaller group of waterfowl but good diversity which included distant RB Mergansers.

Marc had mentioned some shovelers at Veterans Park so I went there next, finding a few dabblers incl the shovelers and some Green-winged Teal.

My last stop was early afternoon at Dyke Marsh which produced a Cackling Goose and 14 species of duck; a nice assortment incl No Shoveler, Redhead and Greater Scaup.

The day netted all the typical winter ducks for our area less a Wood Duck. Plus a couple of Grebes and geese.

Kurt Gaskill

Sent from my iPad