Date: 1/13/18 5:02 pm
From: 'David Bell (h)' <d...> [LACoBirds] <LACoBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Apparent Zone-tailed Hawk, Verdugo Hills La Crescenta

This morning while not birding an apparent immature Zone-tailed Hawk flew over.
It was flying west along the north slope of the Verdugo Hills at 9:30. I saw it from the Beaudry North motorway, just below the crest. It didn’t circle, just passed straight through and I didn’t see it again.. This bird would have been visible and identifiable from La Crescenta (such as in Honolulu Ave near  Crescenta Valley Community Regional Park) with a scope.
I didn’t have my binoculars, so this sighting should be considered uncertain. Still the bird was low and directly overhead and I’m familiar with Zone-tails. I am sure that’s what it was.
Given the time of year, it seems possible that this bird is wintering, not just passing through, so keep your eyes out in that area.

David A BellLa Cañada CA

Join us on Facebook!