Date: 1/13/18 4:58 pm
From: Duane Nelson <dnelson1...>
Subject: [cobirds] John Martin Reservoir, Bent County 1/14/18
Birders,

After the fog lifted this morning, I went to John Martin Reservoir.
There is much more open water than last week, and a significant change
in numbers and species present. When I found two Common Loons from the
Plover Island Overlook one mile west of Overlook Point on the north side
of the reservoir, I called Janeal Thompson. While waiting for her to
arrive, I found a mystery bird (far and with bad light) that eventually
came closer and revealed itself to be a female type White-winged Scoter.
In this area, there was also an adult Bonaparte's Gull, and seven
Western Grebes. Where these birds came from in the middle of January is
the $64,000 question.

Janeal and I then went to the east side of Overlook Point, and scanned
through the gulls on the ice shelf near shore. One adult Lesser
Black-backed Gull flew in to join the more common loafing gulls. To the
east, we picked up a single first-cycle Glaucous Gull and adult
California Gull.

There is still a spectacular assemblage of Snow, Ross' and Cackling
Geese here. Today, we saw no American White Pelicans, but Lapland
Longspurs flew overhead almost everywhere we stopped.

Sincerely,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO