Date: 1/13/18 4:55 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Laughing Gull and miscellaneous sightings

Leonie and I stopped off at the pond at Cypress Lawn Cemetery in Colma. While I was down at the pond checking gulls
Leonie heard a LAUGHING GULL fly over the car and land in with other gulls getting hand-outs of bread. I walked up to the
road where Leonie pointed to an adult Laughing Gull. We watch and took photos of the Laughing Gull for about a half hour.
Funny to watch, as the Laughing Gull moved in with the big gulls getting it's share of bread. After it's fill of bread, it flew
down to the pond. The Laughing Gull was last reported and photographed by observers at the cemetery on December 23.

Miscellaneous sightings

An Aleutian Cackling Goose was in with feral Canada Geese at Coyote Point.

The ponds at Radio Road in Redwood Shores, a number of Cinnamon Teal could be found. With the ponds no longer,
I was surprised to find ( 22 ) Cinnamon Teal along some of man-made canals not the expected habitat.

Another adult male American x Eurasian Wigeon hybrid showed up at the pond behind the Nob Hill Market in Redwood
Shores. This hybrid is a different individual than the one I noted at the end of December. Also at the pond were ( 2 )
Ring-necked Ducks a species I have only noted once before at this location along San Francisco Bay.

There has been a number of sightings of a Harlequin Duck from Coyote Point with no mention of the age or sex. Once again
I have noted a first year male. The last time I saw the resident male was back in October. Has the resident male passed on
after so many years at the point? Also, there has been an adult male Common x Barrow's Goldeneye hybrid and a female
Barrow's Goldeneye.

At Redwood Shores a large group of Common Goldeneyes had ( 4 ) females with yellow extending above the nostrils
One had a complete yellow bill with just black on the nail. These females could be a trap for an over eager birder wanting to
tick-off a Barrow's Goldeneye.

( 56 ) Red-throated Loons were noted off on San Francisco Bay off of Coyote Point.

A Short-eared Owl was seen again over Bair Island.

On January 6, Leonie and I were surprised to see a group of ( 35 ) Barn Swallows low over Pescadero Beach flying north.
This is highest number noted in the county at one time at this time of the year, since the phenomenon of northbound Barn
Swallows started some years ago.

Ron Thorn and Leonie Batkin

Join us on Facebook!