Date: 1/13/18 1:24 pm
From: <eric...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Local spots 1-13-18
Trent Stanley & I birded several spots this morning.

We started at avout 7:20 am. at Santee Lakes. There was some sort of children's fishing derby going on, so the place was packed with hopefull young anglers. Birding was unproductive.

We next tried the lakes just upstream of Old Mission Dam. Nothing worthwhile seen.

Next stop was the Kearny Mesa/Serra Mesa library on Aero Drive across from Montgomery Field. We did not see much. But the habitit is good and there are very good observation points on the back side of the library. Evidence of coyotes in the brush area also, so cats would likely stay away. The canyon behind the library is lined with eucs, and runs down to a sports field. Birds present included: ( including birds I saw last week, as noted). There is a protected fenced-off habitat there also, probably on-site mitigation related to the construction of the library. Could possibly have protected gnatcatchers. Habitate appears to be sage scrub. This site should be visited from time-to-time.
Phainopepla
Munia (last Wednesday)
Spotted towhee
California Towhee (last Wednesday)
WC Sparrow
Bushtit
Audubon's warbler

Last stop was Hickman Field where we quickly found the gray fly.
Photos in my ebird report
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41875010 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41875010

Eric Kallen
San Diego