Date: 1/13/18 10:56 am
From: Brian Adams <bra356...>
Subject: Mountain Chickadees, NW Reno yard
FWIW I've got a handful of Mountain Chickadees gleaning in the Norway maple in my front yard this morning. (Wesley Drive off Keystone Ave.)

This is one of my favorite birds. Their wistful three-note spring song, in the breezy conifers around Tahoe, is one of the indelible memories of my time living there. It's a treat to have them visit my home in Reno.

I once found an active Mt. Chickadee nest, a knothole in the wood siding of a tool shed at the empty parking lot of Heavenly North ski area, near Kingsbury summit. The hole was at eye level, and the Chickadees regarded me as a mere curiosity, pausing to hover smoothly, mere inches from my face, as they sortied to and fro ferrying bunches of insects bristling around their tiny bills like an organ grinder's moustache.

Brian Adams

Join us on Facebook!