Date: 1/13/18 9:48 am
From: <bjhoy...> [MOB-Montana] <MOB-Montana...>
Subject: [MOB-Montana] Dead Sawwhet Owl
Hi,

Many years ago, I found a Sawwhet Owl dead beside a House Sparrow it
was eating. The neighbor's cat had grabbed the owl and bitten it on the
head. I saw the cat leaving our three sided shed and looked to see what
it had been up to. It didn't eat the owl or the sparrow, since house
cats are well fed. It just killed the owl because it could. I had been
watching that little owl for a couple of weeks as it liked to perch in
the shed out of the cold weather (it was a cold snowy winter).
I would suspect that a well fed house cat was also the killer of Jan's
Sawwhet Owl. A wild predator would have likely eaten both the owl and
the sparrow.

Judy Hoy
Stevensville, MT

Posted by: <bjhoy...>