Date: 1/13/18 9:09 am
From: Bruce Barrett <coddler...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Are Regional/County Listservs Still Relevant? [a bit long]
Hi

My two-pennyworth.

Thanks for venting Paul. You bring up some excellent points.

I would like to add one more dimension - namely granularity.

Interest in a "rare" bird varies greatly depending on whether it is be rare
in a city, county, state, or country.

Without the sialia digest (thank you Dave) it would be very tough to learn
of state-wide or country-wide rarities that are only reported to a local
email group.

eBird will send a daily list of "target" birds reported in a county, state,
or country. Of course, this only works if the sighting is actually reported
to eBird. (It would be nice to get an email immediately rather than wait
until the end of the day, but I'm not sure how many of us are ready to
chase at a moments notice.)

My "dream" system would be something that has one front-end, where anyone
can enter anything to do with birds, sightings, comments, etc. The system
then broadcasts that information according to each recipient user's profile
- immediately, daily, weekly - all birds or only those yet unseen in that
county - general discussion or only sightings - and probably other filters
that I have not thought of. Until this becomes a country-wide system (I did
say "dream"), then there should also be an automatic feed to Narba.

Is that eBird? Maybe it depends of what Cornell see as eBird's ongoing
purpose. Which leads me to....

.....Is it time to put pressure on eBird and the ABA to cooperate.

Looking at the current ABA totals and the "last-updated" dates, it is very
clear that many birders have abandoned ABA and probably now rely on eBird
to keep their list totals.

However, eBird is not really set up to be a list-keeping tool, the main
reason being the lack of a "count/don't count" filter. Ironically, I have
some friends who use the ABA list to control what they report to eBird. For
example, if they see a mccaw in Florida they do not report it as it is not
on the ABA list, as they don't want to "artificially" inflate their totals.
They rely on the ABA to keep a level playing field for the listing game,
while denying eBird the scientific goal of capturing everything they see.

Again dreaming, and assuming that eBird does become that sole front-end I
spoke of earlier, I'd like to see eBird and ABA get together such that
eBird is the scientific data gathering tool, and ABA as the list total
keeper, with eBird automatically feeding sightings to ABA.

Thanks again Paul

Bruce Barrett
San Jose, CA

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:19 PM, Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...>
[SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
wrote:

> It is pretty obvious that over the past few years that many of the
> local/county/regional/state listservs have become less and less relevant to
> a large number of birders, as many of these people have voted with their
> feet….er, fingertips….and moved over to other sites such as eBird. Not only
> that, but bird information dissemination appears to have become MORE
> fragmented as time goes on, rather than less fragmented. We now have the
> local listservs, eBird, WhatsApp/GroupMe text messaging groups, Facebook
> individual and group sites, personal Flickr sites, personal and
> private-group text messaging, and even a handful of old-school folks who
> actually still call their friends on the phone! Some of these services are
> SUPPPOSED to complement each other, e.g., a text-message group that is
> supposed to be used for immediate dissemination of high-end rarity
> information only, and folks are supposed to post to it AND to the local
> listserv in a timely manner, but instead the former is used almost
> exclusively and often for more standard bird fare, so the general listserv
> gets only some scraps, if anything.
>
> Using my home-county listserv here in San Diego as an example, the number
> of local birders who now rarely if ever post to SanDiegoRegionBirding has
> grown steadily. Most of these folks still happily get information from such
> sources, but rarely, if ever, post to it. But a good number of these people
> do submit eBird reports on a regular basis instead. Why only to one? Is
> it the ease of eBird submissions? Is it the instantaneous reporting from
> the field? (But that is also easy to do to a local listserv with any
> smartphone.) Is it that they can easily attach their photos to their eBird
> reports? Is there a widespread belief that posting rarity news only to
> eBird is “enough”? Or for some, are they timid to post publicly, or just
> lazy, or simply don’t care to give back to a listserv from which they got
> information allowing them to see a rare bird? Whatever the reason, recent
> checks on many days since mid-December of the number of posts to the San
> Diego listserv versus the number of county “rarity” alerts coming through
> eBird is something on the magnitude of 1 to 20 or 30 (albeit somewhat
> skewed by the numbers of out-of-town Nazca Booby viewers and local-birder
> 2018 “big year” kickoffs, and by the potential for multiple rarities
> mentioned per a single listserv post but only one species per eBird alert).
> A little of this dichotomy can be explained by the fact that some birds
> such as a semi-tame, multi-year-staying Greater White-fronted Goose at a
> local lake still appears daily on the eBird rare-bird alert—given that it
> is a flagged species—but that virtually nobody would dream of posting its
> continued existence on a regular basis on the county listserv. Or, over the
> past few weeks, the continued presence of Nazca Boobies, a wintering
> [...]

Join us on Facebook!